If you like Johnny Cakes and pumpkins, this is just the recipe for you. Try to use a good quality pumpkin like butternut squash.
- 4⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp margarine or shortening
- 1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Add the margarine or shortening. Mix well with a wooden spoon and then form a hole in the middle.
- Add the mashed pumpkin in the middle of the mixture.
- Mix milk and water. Pour this mixture on the pumpkin and keep on stirring with a spoon in the middle, mixing the flour little by little until it becomes a dough.
- Sprinkle a little flour on the table and turn the dough on it. Finish the dough by adding a little more flour and knead well.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces and knead into balls. Add a little more flour on the table, put the balls on it, cover them with a moist dishtowel and let them rest for 15 minutes.
- After that, flatten them with a floured rolling pin and let them rest for another 15 minutes.
- Then fry them slowly on a moderate heat, until golden brown and crusty on both sides.
- Put them on kitchen paper towels to absorb the cooking oil.
The Johnny Cakes can be stuffed with sliced cheese or stewed codfish.