and Tobago Recipe
Fried Flying Fish
DeWitt and Mary Jane Wilan
This fish dish is a specialty of Tobago, where
it is commonly served at restaurants and at the hotels along Courland Bay.
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- ¼ cup minced onion or chives
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1
teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon minced celery leaves
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 pounds flying fish fillets (or
substitute other white fish)
- vegetable oil for frying
Combine all the ingredients except the fish and oil to make a batter, and
mix well. Add the fish and let sit for 30 minutes.
Remove the fish and fry in oil until deep brown. Serve with tartar sauce
and a choice of hot sauces.
More recipes by
Dave DeWitt and Mary Jane Wilan
Dave DeWitt's website:
Callaloo, Calypso and Carnival: The Cuisines of Trinidad and Tobago
Dave DeWitt & Mary
Recipe © Dave DeWitt &
Mary Jane Wilan, 2002 - Copyright ©
2002 - All Rights Reserved.
Web Published: August 21, 2002